Images with a few words + details of various blog posts

Sunday 27 April 2008

East West Airlines' first aircraft



This photo is from Brisbane, 1947, and shows East West Airlines Avro Anson passenger plane VH-BBI, East West Airlines first passenger plane.

The Avro began as a commercial aircraft but then became a major military aircraft.

A total of 11,020 Ansons were built by the end of production in 1952, making it the second-most-numerous (after the Vickers Wellington) British multi-engine aircraft of the war.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had plans for the Anson myself, and when it appears on "Closely watched planes #X" I will link back to you. My father worked on them at one stage during the War. One thing he reckoned is that their wings actually flapped; the second was that he found one that had borer or termites. I guess you know wood was a large part of their structure. In fact my father's carpentry skills were one reason he was put on aircraft maintenance and crash recovery.

Jim Belshaw said...

Hi Neil, and welcome as the first ever commenter on this blog. I have been enjoying your plane series. While I knew that your Dad had worked on them, I had actually forgotten the wood part!